Tuesday 27 September 2011

Got a minute? Let's make Mayonnaise!


This may look like a lot of ingredients, but it really only has 4 - and is so simple to make with a great leeway for variations.

This is the famous Masterchef Australia Food Processor Mayonnaise Recipe that I used.  It's really quick, simple and you get something that tastes a whole lot better than the store-bought mayo. ;)

Basically, you only need:
1 egg
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tbs white balsamic vinegar
A little salt
1 cup olive oil

I love it that I don't have to use only the egg yolk for this recipe because I hate having to store the whites and think about what to use it for... more meringue perhaps? ;P

I didn't have Dijon mustard or balsamic vinegar, so I substituted it with Mild American Mustard and Apple Cinder Vinegar.  Also, I don't really like the heavy olive oil taste, so I had about 1/3 cup of olive oil for its goodness and 2/3 cup of canola oil for its non-taste. (Non-taste? Hmm... ;P)

Into the food processor the egg, mustard, vinegar and salt went.  15 seconds to process it into a mixture; in goes the olive oil, 15 seconds to process it into a liquid paste; in goes the rest of the canola oil, and 30 sec to whip it into a creamy textured mayonnaise.

Ta-da!

Simple and delicious! 

By the way, the food processor you see in the pic is about as old as Ethan - about 11+ years now.  It's a beautifully hardy processor, used almost daily when Ethan was a baby to puree his baby food.  It's been used often to process and puree many things in the kitchen from spice pastes to chopping nuts to making milkshakes for the kids... and it's cheaper to buy today than when I bought it years ago. ;)

No comments: